One of my only problems with Quiche is that there is always milk and cream in the recipe. My stomach refuses to allow milk and especially heavy cream (I make it work through the pain when it comes to cheese) so I adapted a similar recipe and substituted milk and cream for unsweetened coconut milk…the results were in fact very quichey.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
1 pie crust
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 small purple onions (or half of a big one)
4 ounces smoked salmon
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
3 large eggs
1 ½ cup of unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tbsp fresh Rosemary 1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Poke the bottom of the pie pan with a fork. Bake for about 10 minutes or until just lightly golden.
2. While the pie crust toasts, heat oil in a small pan on medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent, remove from heat and set aside.
3. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl, whisk in coconut milk, rosemary, lemon zest, and black pepper.
4. Chop tomatoes
5. Line the bottom of the quiche crust with cooked onions. Put a layer of half the smoked salmon, feta cheese, and tomatoes . Pour half of the egg/coconut milk mixture over the smoked salmon, feta, and tomato, in the quiche shell. Layer the remaining salmon, feta, and tomato. Pour the remaining egg/coconut milk mixture over it.
6. Transfer to oven. Bake at 350°F until just set in the center, about 30 to 35 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6.